Ugh.
I should just accept the fact that I'll never be able to run a marathon. Or a 10k. Or even a 5k.
I love to run. I run on my treadmill a few days a week. But that's the only place I will run. Scratch that - that's the only place I CAN run.
I have foot drop. Really, that's the only symptom I have of my MS. And it's a pain in my butt. No, it doesn't hurt, but it annoys me. What that means is my toes don't lift off the ground like they're supposed to. That part of my brain doesn't tell my foot to lift high enough, and the muscles are weaker. So when I run, like I love to do, when I start to get tired, my foot scuffs the ground. I'm surprised I don't have holes in my shoes. And then I trip. So that's why I can only run on my treadmill. It gives me a little extra bounce to lift my toes because if I run on solid ground, there is no spring, my toes scuff, I trip, and then I face plant. I haven't done it yet, but I would if I ran outside. I do trip on my treadmill too, but at least I have something to grab onto before my face hits the belt.
I wear this thing that supposedly helps my toes lift. I think it does to an extent, but I don't think it's meant for runners. I have been researching though and found another product, and it's even been used by some to run marathons. Unfortunately though, the only Canadian distributor is in Quebec.
So I guess I should just accept that fact that I'll never run the distance I'd love to. But at least I CAN RUN. It could always be worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment